Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Apartment, the Remixx! Vanity

As I was thinking about different ways of decorating my bedroom, I had several ideas for something luxurious, a place where I could really come home and get away for awhile.  I thought about a sexy Moroccan theme, an Italian theme, a beach theme...but when it all came down to it, I need something aesthetically stylish, yet practical.  I had the idea to take things I use in my day-to-day and duplicate them as props in my decor.  Not only would this save me a lot of money, but it would put an interesting twist on the look.  I could keep it sophisticated and classy by adding a little bit of French style and art to the mix, a la Petite Boutique Francaise.  The first step I took in the transformation was to create my very own vanity.  I have a tiny bathroom, and not a lot of storage for my make-up and hair products.  This would open up an organized space for all of my things, and it would still look really stylish.  Plus, who doesn't like to feel like a princess whilst getting fixed up for a night on the town.  Here's how I did it:
Before (ughhh...  I can't believe this was in my room)
My desk is unused, other than storage purposes.  It's dusty and falling apart.  I'm going to turn THIS into my new vanity.

I bought this big mirror at a Salvation Army for $12 and spray painted it black.


I found some pretty glass vases and little jars at Goodwill, around a dollar a piece.  I added some shiny gems in the bottom and voila!  Brush/ tools/ bobby pin holders...



I also found these little boxes at Wal-Mart for $5.00.  They're perfect for storing my makeup and keeping it organized.  In the picture, I have two stacked on top of each other.




Added a decorative lamp, a luminated magnifying mirror, and my Oui, oui!  Eiffel Tower statue...

After



All I have left to get is a little stool, which I'm going to upholster in white faux fur.  :)

What a much better use of my space, if I do say so myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment