Thursday, November 10, 2011

Closet Tips for the Fabulous Fashionista (who's getting tired of cleaning)

Deep cleaning and reorganizing my house: sounds about as fun as painting the roses red, right?  There really isn't a fabulous way to put it, yet it's hard to be fabulous when you can't find anything in your clutter-filled home and you can't even have friends over for cocktail night.  (Mimosas just aren't as refreshing when drunk alone.)  There has got to be a way, though, to make this cleaning stuff a bit more entertaining.  My first handy tip:  have a playlist going. 



1.Put on your favorite music and jam while you clean.

A few of my faves:
Bitter:Sweet
Florence + The Machine
Lilly Allen
Adele

...and if I'm feeling sexy...
Entheogenic
Ott
Halucinogen
(I like to get lost in the tribal trance...)

2.  Think shopping as you clean.

Since I'm just getting started with this makeover thing, I really don't have extra money to spend, but where there's a will, there's a way!  Out with the old, in with the "new."

Go through your closet.  Set up two paper bags:  one for Goodwill or Salvation Army, one for a local store to which you can try to sell your gently used clothing such as Plato's Closet, or in my case the Black Market (a Lincoln favorite for vintage clothing and accessories.)  Many people sell online as well.  I don't have the patience to deal with checking up on it every day and with shipping and packaging, etc., so I prefer the old-school method.  If it doesn't fit and if you haven't worn it in a long time, get rid of it.  Make room for some new, beautiful things that will make you look your absolute best. 

Look at your shoes:  if they're worn beyond repair, throw them away.  If they could use a little repair, put them in a pile to take to the cobbler to get re-heeled/ re-soled.  It's a very inexpensive alternative to buying all new shoes. 

Organize: either by types of clothing, where your wear those clothes (work, out, for potato chip consumption), or as I do it--by color.  This will make outfits much more simple to put together.  If your closet is looking a little sparse after removing all the un-worn stuffing, make a wish list of things you could really use.  Keep an eye out when you're dropping off your clothes.  If you make some money back, maybe you can use that to purchase a few key items.

Christina's Closet Staples:

1. Basic t-shirts:  I find that a crisp, snug-fitting white t-shirt looks very polished with a pair of...
2. Dark-washed, tailored jeans.  Your "damn, my butt looks amazing" jeans.
3. Black, tailored slacks.  (I keep saying "tailored."  It's not very expensive to have your clothes altered to fit your body like a glove, and it's so worth the extra attention you'll get.)
4. A well-fitted blazer (for the office, interviews, or to class up a basic vintage dress or tee.)
5. A button-down shirt.
6.  Supportive, well-fitted bras, underwear, and pantyhose...insert Spanks, corsets, socks, leggings, garter belts if you're feeling adventurous, etc. here)
7.  Black pumps and flats
8.  Your sexy LBD (little black dress)
9.  Accessories you're in love with.  Most of my clothes are very simple, basic colors and patterns, but people know me for dressing them up with eccentric, colorful scarves, earrings, necklaces, purses, etc.  I'm all about unique accessories.  You can find them anywhere, for any budget, and to fit any personality.
10.  A peacoat...maybe it's my Gossip Girl obsession...

Also get an organizer (you might need six if you're like me) for your jewelry, belts, and scarves.  I hang them on the wall of my closet and they look like this (image from Kaboodle.com):


Love it!  Happy cleaning, Fashionista!  I
know I have a hard time focusing on boring old cleaning and organizing, but hopefully this helps to make things a bit more interesting.  :)  Have a great day!

2 comments:

  1. These are great tips. I already have started the process. But, there is always room for improvement. FYI, you posted this at 11:11, just sayin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been meaning to jazz up my closet for months now but I'm procrastinating because I know that the majority of my stuff has to go but I can't bear to see a sparse closet because it means breaking the bank to fill it back up. Love your tips ... Music always makes life- even cleaning- a little better. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete